SESMH CURT & BECKY ELLISON MENTAL HEALTH STUDENT AWARD
The Southeastern Symposium on Mental Health Student Award supported by Curt and Becky Ellison, recognizes a student that has shown outstanding commitment to mental health. Curt and Becky Ellison have a long history with Prisma Health Department of Psychiatry and Behavioral Medicine. Together they have worked a total of 70 years (Curt 41 and Becky 29 years) and worked throughout the Department from teaching in the Children Residential Program to being the Department Administrator. Curt and Becky dedicated their careers to the promotion of mental health. They both have been described as visionaries and leaders in the field of mental health.
Each year, in collaboration with the Southeastern Symposium on Mental Health, this Ellison award will recognize and honor an outstanding student in the area of mental health.
The purpose of this annual award is to acknowledge students interested in mental health, treatment intervention and outcome.
Applicants must be students in good standing at an accredited institution of higher education within the participating States of the Southeastern Symposium on Mental Health.
Applications will be evaluated by the Southeastern Symposium Award Committee on the basis of:
- Letter of recommendation from designated professor and/ or mentor
- The qualifications and ability of the applicant, as demonstrated by academic performance, statement of purpose
- Letter of reference from an academic faculty and or field placement supervisor
- Proven interest in psychiatry and/ or mental health
The deadline of the award and supporting materials is April 15th of each year. Please upload your supporting materials to the Southeastern Symposium on Mental Health website submission portal. Incomplete applications will not be considered. The Southeastern Symposium Award Committee will review the nominations and select a recipient.
The Recipient Will:
- Be required to submit a 250-word essay based on their interest in mental health or an abstract based on their research to present at the Annual Southeastern Symposium on Mental Health Conference.
- Be acknowledged by the Ellison’s and/or representative at the Southeastern Symposium on Mental Health Annual Conference
- Receive a monetary award and plaque
- Receive complimentary registration for the Symposium for the next calendar year
The award recipient will be notified on or around April 24th of each year and recipient of this award is expected to attend the Annual Southeastern Symposium on Mental Health.