SESMH/GHS DEPARTMENT OF PSYCHIATRY EXCELLENCE IN SERVICE AWARD
The Department of Psychiatry and Behavioral Medicine, an embedded component of Prisma Health (GHS), provides a complete spectrum of care to diagnose and treat psychiatric disorders (often referred to as emotional and psychological disorders). The Department has provided services to the Upstate of South Carolina and its surrounding areas for over 50 years. Working collaboratively, the programs also provide training to a number of allied health professionals including medical students, psychiatry residents, nurse practitioners/nurses, pharmacists and social workers.
This award is offered in an ongoing effort to recognize those individuals who have displayed exemplary leadership and achievements in the area of mental health.
The purpose of this award is to recognize exemplary performance by individuals identified by their peers and or their community as having consistently excelled in their work in service of the mentally ill and demonstrated integrity and a strong commitment to service.
Any person who has demonstrated a commitment to the provision of service on behalf of and in the promotion of mental health within the community. This person actively engages in education, promoting awareness, prevention and eradicating the stigma surrounding mental illness.
The candidate must have a nomination letter submitted on their behalf by April 1st of each year. The letter must have a minimum of 250 words which describes how the nominee has demonstrated the work as outlined in the Purpose, Eligibility and Criteria of this award statement. Examples of contributions can include but are not limited to:
- Raising awareness of mental health issues in the community through education, outreach and advocacy.
- Working to reduce the stigma associated with mental illness
- Advocating for advancement of mental health policies and programs
- Demonstrating the ability to pull people of diverse backgrounds together to accomplish objectives
- Promoting patient-center care and treatment
The deadline of the award and supporting materials is April 15th of each year. Please upload your supporting materials to the Southeastern Symposium on Mental Health website submission portal. Incomplete applications will not be considered. The Southeastern Symposium Award Committee will review the nominations and select a recipient.
The Recipient Will:
- Be acknowledged by the GHS Department of Psychiatry at the Annual Southeastern Symposium on Mental Health
- Receive a plaque commending their service to the community on behalf of the mentally ill
- Receive a complimentary registration for the Symposium for the next calendar year
The award recipient will be notified on or around April 24th of each year and recipient of this award is expected to attend the Annual Southeastern Symposium on Mental Health.