SESMH/NAMI COMMUNITY MENTAL HEALTH ADVOCATE AWARD
National Alliance on Mental Illness (NAMI) – Greenville, South Carolina is a non-profit, grass-roots organization, dedicated to building better lives for individuals affected by mental illness. NAMI works throughout the community to raise awareness, provide support, education and advocacy for those affected by mental illness.
Each year, in collaboration with the Southeastern Symposium on Mental Health, NAMI Greenville will recognize and honor an outstanding community leader and advocate in the area of mental health.
This award recognizes a member of the community that exemplifies leadership and advocacy in the area of mental health.
Any person who has demonstrated a commitment to the promotion of mental health, providing education and awareness prevention of mental illness, the eradication of mental health stigma and/or the support of mental health consumers, caregivers or providers is eligible for this award.
Each candidate must have a nomination letter submitted on their behalf by April 15th of each year. Each letter must have a minimum of 250 words which describes how the nominee has contributed to the field of mental health. Examples of contributions can include but are not limited to:
- Raising awareness of mental health issues in the community through education and outreach
- Working to reduce the stigma regarding mental illness
- Advocating for more comprehensive mental health policies and programs
- Developing programs to identify and treat those at risk
- Encouraging mental wellness through lifestyle and/or system modification
- Increasing mental health care access
- Promoting patient-centered care and treatment
The deadline of the award and supporting materials is April 15th of each year. Please upload your supporting materials to the Southeastern Symposium on Mental Health website submission portal. Incomplete applications will not be considered. The Southeastern Symposium Award Committee will review the nominations and select a recipient.
The Recipient Will:
- Be acknowledged by NAMI at the Annual Southeastern Symposium Conference
- Receive a monetary award and plaque
- Receive complimentary registration for the Symposium for the next calendar year
The award recipient will be notified on or around April 24th of each year and recipient of this award is expected to attend the Annual Southeastern Symposium on Mental Health.